Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Turn On Your Radio

Well, I had an idea. To switch things up here... I am not going to focus on a whole CD review.
I decided to reset all of my "plays" on iTunes, so currently all of my songs are set at zero! The goal is to get one play for all songs, and go through my music and rate and review it that way.

Ready, set, play that funky music white boy!

Who Makes You Feel: Dido (Life for Rent): I like how this is kind of a sneaky sounding song. I can see a music video of her going into her boyfriend's apartment and looking around to find who this other woman is that makes him feel like she makes him feel. It's kind of a dark song, but I like it. I also like Dido, I feel like she is an under rated artist. 3 Stars.

Jen: Jimmy Eat World (Futures): I think it was the Summer of 2011, and I was looking for songs with my name in them cause I wanted to rock out to my own name. I am glad I did (though this might be one of the only ones I did find... haha) But it seems like a fun song and it's upbeat and a good Jimmy song, though not entirely as typical as their normal stuff.  2 Stars.

Got It All: (Everyday Behavior): 2005 or 2006 was when I discovered this band. I like them, this song has a little bit of yelling but it is kind of a good pump you up song. 3 Stars.

Turn On Your Radio: Nina Gordon (Bleeding Heart Graffiti): 2009, I bought this CD for my mom because she and I had loved an earlier cd by Nina Gordon. I enjoy this song, it is soft and I like the harmonies she makes. 2 Stars

It Ends Tonight: All American Rejects (Move Along): A goodbye love song, what AAR is best known for! I like this song, I can relate a lot with early college "romances" and not being cherished like I should be, and just not really expressing those thoughts. I do remember a few times in my old Pontiac I would drive late at night, with my heart break tape that I had made, mostly with Ashlee Simpson on it, but I would just cry and scream out the lyrics, and that's what this song reminds me of. 3 Stars

New Heights: A Fine Frenzy (Bomb in a Birdcage): Ahh, we come to a song I am not sure I have actually ever heard! I think I got this cd from my bestie Rachel. I love how this girl's voice is slightly retro, it sounds full and the song itself sounds really good. It is cute and whimsical. I think this is a song that can be used to inspire hope and encourage success and reaching for your goals. I like all of the blend of instruments. 4 Stars

Good People: Jack Johnson (In Between Dreams): You know. I had a while where I loved Jack Johnson, reminds me of the Summer of 2005 in Rexburg, where my sweet roommates had a phone on the wall with a picture of Jack and anytime we needed to, we would just call him up and talk to him as our boyfriend, as a friend, for fun. It was great! But this isn't my favorite song. Where'd all the good people go? Well. They aren't that far... and if you can't see them maybe you've changed and aren't a good person any more, cause usually you attract what you are and you can see the good in people when you're in a good spot.  I think in the end, I have been a fair weathered Jack Johnson fan, that summer I liked him but overall, I can go without. 1 Star.

Wait A Minute: Pussycat Dolls (PCD): I don't really know why I have this CD. Their music is fun, but why do I have the WHOLE CD! haha. I think this song would be a good Cha Cha song, you can play off some of the words and have a few times where you pause when they say, Wait A Minute. But I think it has to go...

So Damn Clever: Plain White T's (Every Second Counts): I think this is an all around good song. Not a stellar song, but it is fun and kind of cute and...clever. 2 stars

It's Oh So Quiet: Bjork (single):  Do not adjust your speakers! This song starts off really quiet and it is a punchy and fun sweet love song! Sometimes love does this to you, where you are just enjoying a normal day and then suddenly you're overcome with happiness and just have to dance in the street!! This gets 4 stars, it isn't one you listen to all the time but when you do it just slaps a smile on your face!  Go ahead feast your eyes on this 1995 masterpiece and watch the music video.

10 Songs in this Post

2 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to do something similar to my I-tunes. I've got some crazy albums from Russia that I don't think I've ever listened to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new playlist rundown.
    Oh Bjork, so unique. I heard a really interesting interview with her on fresh air on npr. And I've liked her ever since. I like the part of the video with the umbrellas.
    I have the same sort of association with AAR. I love the idea of a heartbreak tape.
    Oh, I love the whole A Fine Frenzy album, good stuff.
    We've bonded over our Nina Gordon affinity before, but I haven't heard that one.

    ReplyDelete