Sunday, February 17, 2013

One Year, Six Months

He Dance With Me/She Danced with Me: Gemma Craven and Richard Chamberlin (The Slipper and The Rose Soundtrack):  This song is a fun Viennese Waltz, which I choreographed! I edited the song to be shorter for my routine. When I first saw the movie I think I was 13 or 14 and maybe had started Ballroom. All I do remember is wanting to dance like that. I think it is a nice romantic song, but not one I normally have in any constant rotation in my playlist. But it is really good for a Ballroom playlist! Two Stars. (I highly recommend watching the 1976 British inspired Cinderella Story. It's over the top and awesome!)

Magic: Colbie Caillat (Coco): I think this is also a very romantic song. Makes me think of dancing in the kitchen when you're making cookies or something for that someone special. Some of her songs are way overplayed, but I think she is slightly underrated. Her voice is a little raw, and I enjoy that. I could see me putting this into a love playlist, for those days when I am just feeling sappy! Three Stars.

New Low: Middle Class Rut (single): Here is a song I heard on the radio and had to have! It is catchy and a little jaded. Seems like a song you'd have to work at playing the Bass on Guitar Hero with. Two Stars.

Mistakes We Knew We Were Making: Mae (The Everglow): First off, Mae is one of my favorite bands. I LOVE THEM. That aside, this cd, The Everglow, is done in a seamless fashion, each song leading into the other, and why? Well because it is set up as a read along story! Remember those when you were a kid? Turn Page Now... Well, they just set up the cd like that with their first and last songs. And the cd booklet is a book. With pictures.
    Now, onto THIS song... There are times when we know we are making a mistake. That time that I decided to be "spontaneous" and go rolling down a hill in the sprinklers in college with that boy... I knew it was a mistake, in the end I think I knew he was a mistake. But I knew I was doing it, and I knew it was going to be fun. In the end I needed to have done it, to learn. This song though is just so beautiful and just makes me happy. I love the line, Dance until the band stops playing, Sing with all your might. A good philosophy for life! My love for this song, this band, goes on and on... (listen to the song, You'll get it.)  Four Stars.

Entr'acte: Phantom Of The Opera (Highlights cd): Instrumental. It's good, but not something I really feel like keeping on file. I'll keep the CD and when I am feeling it, I'll come to it.

Let's Dance: Mya (Shall We Dance Soundtrack):  Totally random to get three soundtrack songs on here so far! It's a fun song, a cover, more funky than the original. It's one of those songs that can help pump you up for some Friday night fun. Two Stars.

One Year, Six Months: Yellowcard (Ocean Avenue): This brings me back to my first semester of college... Sarah and I listened to this cd a lot, reminded us of home. Reminded me of my ex?boyfriend. I think we had broken up physically, but emotionally we still were together and leaning on each other. It's a good song, fun concept, using this punkrock type band with folkish instruments. It's interesting, listening to songs you haven't in many years and knowing all of the lyrics. One Star.

Piazza, New York Catcher: Belle & Sebastian (Juno Soundtrack): Seriously, my playlist is only set for random so I am not sure why all the soundtracks are lumped in this post! I digress. I heard of Belle & Sebastian from my dear friend Ben. We've never met, he was a friend of a friend, and he and I formed a strong bond over music and would listen to songs together over the internet and analyze them. It was a fun time in my life! This song, I like the folksy and acoustic sound to it. I only give One Star because I don't feel too connected to it, but can see it being a nice song to listen to on a rainy day.

One Of The Boys: Katy Perry (One Of The Boys): Honestly, when this song came up I was thinking, I will be deleting this one. I actually do respect Katy Perry, I really enjoy her voice. I do think she went overboard with branding herself, and has gone to extremes to shock people. But I do enjoy this song. When I first heard of her, I was repulsed because I thought her song, Kissed A Girl, was tasteless. But I do like this one, I can relate to it. In 2007 I was trying to convince a boy to like me, that I wasn't just one of the guys, but that's how he kept treating me.Growing up I always felt like I related to boys better, because they weren't as fickle and superficial, so I get this song. One Star.

Telescopes: Mae (Singularity): This was Mae's change of branding type cd, where they went a little more rock, a little more Hoobastank's the reason album. I still love it.  It's funny, this song isn't about stars or using a telescope... It does talk about perspective, and looking to a reality. Two Stars.

Can't Break Her Fall: Mat Kearney (Nothing Left To Lose): I don't like the talking parts of this song... I do like his singing voice...  I don't even know how I got this song...  Anyway. I think it could be about addiction, or even depression. There have been days where I just couldn't take anything, and no one was able to break my fall, my mental breakdown. It was inevitable. But, putting your hand behind my head is helping. One Star.

Turn Me Up: Benny Banassi (Subliminal Sessions 6):  I got this song from a mixed CD some girls at the treatment center I work at made. I think this is a good song for a workout...it seems a little too techno for me, though I think it is categorized as "house" music... One Star.

Open Season: High Highs (Pitch Perfect Soundtrack Deluxe): I love this song. It is so pretty, it sounds watered down, like a water colored picture, soft and flowy. Not to mention it is about a kite. I see this as a spring day kind of song, it is perfectly warm with a nice breeze, and you're just happy and the sun is too. Three Stars. And I want to look into more of their stuff... (Also, the movie just tickled my funny bone!)

Just a note-- I have started this new challenge with 4,050 songs. Lets see how many I have at the end! (PS, if I were to listen to them all in a row it would take 10.5 days... or possibly one year and six months with posts...haha)

7 Songs in this Post

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your description of high highs. It's like background music you'd hear while floating in a pool on a summer day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never think I like Colbie Caillat, until I'm listening to pandora and I'm like, huh who sings this, and then I'm like hmm Colbie Caillat, I like it.
    I like the Mae song, I think I need to be hearing more of their stuff, new to me.
    Haven't seen the movie, but I liked the Open Season song.
    I love that you told us the beginning song count, I can't wait to see what it get down to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, you should also list how many songs you have at the end with 5 stars, 4 stars, etc

    ReplyDelete