Monday, February 18, 2013

Black Or White

See You When You're 40: Dido (Life For Rent): This song reminds me of a time in high school, I was dating this guy and was at his house. His mom was talking about a funny interaction she had today, that she went to the dentist--a new one, and it turned out to be an ex-boyfriend! She mentioned something about how you never know who you will run across later in life, and how it can be so strange to see how your lives turned out. I think this song is like that. While thought provoking, it only gets One Star.

Late Night Swing: Casey MacGill and the Spirits of Rhythm:  This song is one that I learned when I first started Ballroom Dance and was on The Pacific Ballroom Dance team.--back when it was still just 12 couples and we learned a 20 minute Swing dance medley... Best workout of my life!! This song is swanky and flirty, perfect for a West Coast Swing. When I coached a team at BYU-Idaho I re-taught this routine. Three Stars, partly for nostalgia. :)

Motivation Proclamation: Good Charlotte: I got this song from a mixed CD from a roommate. I remember enjoying this band when they were on the radio occasionally during high school... and this song isn't too bad, I do like the little harmonies they make and the sound is smooth enough. But overall, it is a little whiny and not too much my style. I can relate to the song, sometimes you need motivation to get out and do stuff.. but I don't feel like I need to keep the song.

Sunrise: Norah Jones:  Oh Norah, there is something so dreamy about her!  All of her songs make you feel like you're in love (which, I am... but when I wasn't, I would be... anyway) This song is simple and happy, Two Stars.

Your Surrender: Neon Trees (Habit): First time hearing this song! I got this CD from my Husband. I enjoy it. It doesn't blow me away, but it is a nice little song, One Star for now.

Raccoons: Obijou (Swift Feet For Troubling Times):  Well, I found out about this band on a date that went on forever... Despite that, I enjoy this folky Canadian band. This song has a sound that could be used for a lullaby, though the song is a little sad for that. One Star. (Side note, I went to their myspace page, link in their album title above, and listened to their song Niagra... I love it. I love the direction they went and the sound... I feel the need to find a way to buy this album or blow up their myspace plays....)

Black Or White: Michael Jackson.  Admit it, you were waiting to see when MJ would pop up on this list. He's classic! This song isn't my favorite. I don't love the rap portion, but it is a good song. One Star.

Everyone Else In The World: Stina Nordenstam: I got this from my dear friend Ben, whom I have talked about before. I put this on a compilation album entitled, The Frozen Lakes.  That was the name of the band I would have used if I were to make an emo band or something. Ben really turned me on to all of the indie folk rock type scene, I will be forever thankful for that. I love this song for when you're feeling heartbroken.  One Star.

Variations of the Kanon by Johann Pachelbel: George Winston (December): This CD reminds me of my sisters friend who lived with us, as well as my neighbor I would babysit. I use to put this CD in my cd player and put my headphones on and fall asleep. I love this song. My sister walked down the aisle to Kanon by Pachelbel, and there is something about this variation that I just find mesmerizing. This would go on a playlist for meditation, getting a massage, relaxing, sometimes on my Christmas playlist, and gets Two Stars.

Dog Days Are Over: Florance + The Machines: I enjoy her voice, it isn't entirely your typical voice. It is a catchy tune, makes me want to jump around and dance in my living room. It's a great summer song, light and sunny. One Star. --But wait, I love the tambourine so it gets bumped up to Two Stars!


10 Songs in this Post



1 comment:

  1. So I started reading this post and I started laughing, because all your stories start with "this reminded me of dating this guy..." and then I remembered how you went through this time when you posted on your other blog about each dating experience was worse than the last. You had the best humor about it. : )
    I love Norah, of course.
    Ah, and then you link to your disastrous dating posts. I love it.
    Listened to the that Obijou band Ooh, I like it too.
    I have this same George Winston cd, however I am vehemently opposed to Pachelbel, just don't like it. But i love his other stuff, plus he has cds for the other seasons. I think I got my mom the Spring one once for a gift and love it too.
    The Dog Days only get 2 stars? Surprised, its one of my favorites, its saved more than one workout playlist, or cleaning music, or heck belting it out in the car playlist. But it is kinda overplayed, so i get that.

    So BTW, I started making a playlist compiled from my favorites from your posts: http://pl.st/p/23844245259

    ReplyDelete