Thursday, February 13, 2014

Love Songs (A-F by Artist)

Well it's that time of the year, where everyone is hosting their "Not A Valentines" or "Singles Awareness" whatever party, so I thought I could review some love songs! (Which I have around 272 songs with some form of "love in the title...")

I am kicking it off with a wonderful and funny love song written by my own brother in law!

It's called Pokemon Love Song. It is very clever, reminds me of being in 6th grade when my best friend Brad was trying to get me to watch Pokemon but I never caught on. It also takes me back to one year as an EFY counselor trying to be super cool and compete in the Pokemon name-off (I obviously failed).  Anyway, Zach is very talented and a funny and cool guy, hope you enjoy his song!

Slammin Kind Of Love: A*Teens: This song takes me back to doing yard work, listening to my CD walkman. I don't even know how to rate this song, it's obviously terrible, it is obviously a song that inspired the whole High School Musical empire, but it will stay in my playlist, so I guess that earns it 2 stars!

Lovers of Loving Love: The Aquabats! No Valentines day would be complete without hearing Lovers of Loving Love! I think this song encompasses how you feel when you finally say you love someone and they say it back. Which makes me think of the dance scene from Joseph Gordon Levitt in 500 Days of Summer (not the best Valentines movie...) 2 Stars. (plus one star for nostalgia)

How Deep Is Your Love? The BeeGees. Ahh, the smooth romance of the 70's! My first year at BYUIdaho, there was a ballroom routine to a whole medley of 70's songs, and there was a beautiful night club two step to this song, they had the mirror ball shining, their white suits with purple shirts gleaming... this song just transports me to a different time and I feel the love. 3 Stars.

Another song that would be make this list incomplete, Love You More: Celine Dion (in fact, I had about 6 different songs with the word Love in the title to choose from...) When I hear this song I remember seeing it performed this way, and lets just take a moment to remember how terrible the 90's were for their white...I was once a Model at the mall, we were called "Style Board", and for one fashion show we did, I was put in a white prom dress very similar to the violinists, and it was as terrible, and I had my hair done similar to Celine's... haha Anyway, great song, 2 stars!

Light My Fire: The Doors: I can't remember if this was a cd one of the couples had brought in or if we made a cd with some songs for them to choose a wedding song from... but either way this song was an option for a couple that I helped create a wedding dance to when I did my internship in 2007 for Arthur Murray. I couldn't and still can't imagine anyone dancing to this song as their wedding dance! But it is funky and fun, and you know it lights that fire for a lot of people. I can see some couple dancing to this song as they are making dinner. (is it only me who finds the kitchen to be a romantic place? I seem to mention dancing in the kitchen quite a bit) Anyway, the song gets a little weird and out of control at the end. 2 stars.

Crazy In Love: cover by Emeli Sandi from the Great Gatsby Soundtrack: I love this cover, it is so fun as a Charleston type of song! Makes me want to dance with my darling cheek to cheek, kickin out our feet as we boogie. It's fun and upbeat, 3 Stars.

The Dumbing Down of Love: Frou Frou: 5 stars. Oh how this was the anthem I sang in 2005, once I heard it I knew my life had changed. How was it possible for someone to convey the loneliness of a lover without love in lyrics, in music, in this song? I do believe the first time I heard it, I did break down and cry. I was in a relationship of sorts at that time in my life where I put so much in and got nothing back. I tried to get that guy to hear the song, but even when I played it, he only heard with his ears, and not his heart. It ended up being another year before I realized I couldn't save it, and what it was doing to me. But oh, this song really did change a lot for me. (Thank you Ben for ever introducing Frou Frou into my life)




No comments:

Post a Comment