Friday, January 4, 2013

Something Kinda Funny

So one of my first CDs was Spice by Spice Girls. I think my first cds were Brandy and Toni Braxton--reviews to come.

Spice by the Spice Girls came out in 1996, I was ten years old. I remember idolizing Ginger spice, not caring for Baby spice, and being really scared by Posh. That said, I remember jumping around on the couches in the office/computer room with my sister and we would pose as each of the different spice girls, and our favorite to imitate was Posh, I think because on this album cover she looked like she only had one arm...

Spice
Something else I remember, I wasn't introduce to Spice Girls by my sister or my girl friends... but my best friend and neighbor, Brad. I remember being at his house and he had this cd and Hanson and my life had changed.

Now, onto the review by song!

WannaBe: One of the best party and road trip songs ever! This song can pump you up and remind you of all the good times. I think because of the nonsense words it really helps make the song a little lighter and fun. It took me awhile to figure out all of the rap part but I've got it down now.
    I see it now as an empowering song to women who are dating guys that are not putting much into the relationship.

Say You'll Be There:  This was one of my favorite tracks. I think it was then what Single Ladies is now. It's an anthem of what girls want and all that we expect. I love Sporty Spice's solo at the end, it is powerful.

2 Become 1: This song features each of the spice girls singing on her own. I remember being uncomfortable with this song as an eleven year old. Listening to it now, I don't think I would want my children to listen to something like this at that age, but their voices sound really good. It is a little too blatant, so  not my favorite, but I do like the music and their singing.

Love Thing: I remember loving to dance to this one in my room, it was a good jam. I loved the rap portion, and the line " God help the Mister that comes between me and my sisters" Cause my sister and I love that part of White Christmas.

Last Time Lover:  I think this is one of the songs I would skip past. I didn't like how low their voices were. It sounds a little bit like they are trying to be TLC.  While I've said that I liked some of the rapping in earlier songs, I do not like it in this song. I think I also don't care for all of the slides they do in the song. The song also lasts too long in my opinion...

Mama: I don;t think that as a ten year old I really related to this song. My mom and I had a good relationship, I also wasn't sneaking out and didn't need much reprimanding. So this song wasn't one I would listen to often.  Listening to it now, I still can't relate cause I was a mostly respectful and obedient teen. I do love my mom and consider her one of my friends. Working in a treatment center I kind of want to play this song for the girls to see if any of them have noticed a change and feel this way towards their mothers now.

Who Do You Think You Are:   After such a somber and loving song, it was always great to get to this track! It is so fun and funky. It makes me think of a race track, and I love the music and how playful the song. I think this is still a great hip shaking kind of song that can help you get out of a bad mood and pump you up.

Something Kinda Funny: I don't remember loving this song when I was younger. I think I liked it, but the tone of the song was a little off for me to love. I still don't love it, I expect something different because of the title. I expect it to be a funnier song, but instead it is something kinda bland to me that lasts a little too long.

Naked: Again, another song that I didn't care for. I think it was a little too sexy for me.I do like how they sing the chorus, but I am still not sold and couldn't make it through the whole song.

If U Can't Dance: This became an anthem to me, I was determined to marry a dancer. Luckily, my husband tries to dance and lets me dance and that's a good match for me! I never understood the random Mexican rapping, these are British girls... it wasn't a good fit for me but I like the song otherwise. It is a little repetitive but not a bad song.

Overall, this CD reminds me of the time in 6th grade that a group of girls and I were going to do a song in the talent show... Well the talent show ended up getting cancelled so we just had one in our classroom, but the day of no one else remembers except for my group, so we threw together a Spice Girl concert! I ended up being Sporty Spice, I think because another girl wouldn't be in the group if she wasn't Ginger... whatever. I also remember dressing up with my friend Cherise who was always Baby Spice, and I would be Ginger and yes... I would stuff my bra. It was a fun time, a fun album. I don't think that the album flows as a whole, they didn't mix all of the slow songs in the best way but it is a great album and I am still a fan!


Songs that are currently on my iTunes and make the cut to stay: Wannabe, Say You'll Be There, Love Thing, Who Do You Think You Are, and If U Can't Dance (I had deleted the other songs when I uploaded the CD because I hadn't cared for them)



Buy the album here





No comments:

Post a Comment